Friday, August 26, 2011

My "Classroom" Work Space

I cleared out my sewing area in my craft room and re-designated it as my makeup area. Although, this area will continue to be re-designated over the next few months. But I figured it was better to have one permanent place that served one purpose at a time, rather than one area that had a random assortment of "craft stuff."

Since I don't have that much right now, I keep most of what I own on the desk. I picked up a few cute bowls from the dollar store and use one for small eye shadows, one for blushes and bronzers, and one for lipsticks. I lined an old chocolate gift box with pretty paper and use it to store my liquid foundations, concealers, primers etc.






I pretty much re-purposed containers from all over the house, including an old shot glass that was perfect for q-tips. My brushes keep moving from my roll out case to a cup because I can't decide how I want them yet. I keep extra sponges, wipes, makeup remover, tissues, and disposable items in the shelves of the desk, along with my makeup case, and a scrapbook carrier that I also use for storage.


I set up a mirror behind the desk and stole one of my husband's clamp lights that I attached to the top of the mirror. I would love to use natural light, but I work during the day, so I have to practice at night. I read that lighting that is too cold will lead you to over apply, but if the light is too warm, you will think you look great when you don't. (You know you've been there, getting into you car and seeing a line or a streak you couldn't see in your bathroom.) Luckily he helped me pick out a natural light bulb from his collection.

I was going to add two smaller clamp lights on the side, but apparently Home Depot decided they are not safe and doesn't carry them anymore! The lighting I know is not perfect. I can't always see what I am doing perfectly, and sometimes it is a real problem for pictures. But this is where I have been practicing and I hope that as I keep working and develop a better sense of what I need, I can make adjustments as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment