Friday, July 29, 2011

Thrift stores = Biggest bang for your buck




For this scene in Chutes and Ladders, the hair was kept pretty simple, a thin braid that started on one side and wrapped around to the other. I'm lucky to have a friend (Ella Maria) who is an amazing Hair Dresser that I can call up before a shoot and make sure I am fully prepared.


The costume was a lot of fun to work on too. The vest started as an ugly puffy vest with fur trim on the hood (Think J-Lo circa P. Diddy). I promptly removed the trim and sewed the hood back together. I also wanted to add a little edge but had to find a way to do it cheaply. Taking a bit of inspiration from Project Runway a few seasons ago, I purchased the longest black zipper I could find, and broke it apart. 2 dollars well spent to add a metal trim up the front of the vest.

My favorite part however was the belt. I cleared out the rack of belts at the local thrift store. Four black belts, some with broken parts, were fasted together into this giant mega belt. To save time, I ditched the task of sewing through leather, and went straight for my card hole puncher. I snuck into my husbands desk and stole a few of the little brass fasteners used for scripts. Turns out, they are great for fastening pretty much anything. I told you I was resourceful. I was pretty pleased with the overall look of the final product. I think she is ready to kick some ass, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment