Thursday, July 28, 2011

Making use of my bruise wheel

This was for a project I worked on recently, Chutes and Ladders, a web series my husband created and I helped produce along with one of the actors (Datta Dave).

Cuts and bruises have always been one of my favorite things. I am pretty clumsy myself, so I generally have plenty of real life samples to base my work on. I watched a few tutorial a few days before this particular day, but I didn't really find anything that was different from what I was already doing. I also searched for images I liked of fake bruises. If you can stomach it, I recommend searching for images of real ones too.

I used Ben Nye's Cuts and Bruise Wheel, layering on the blue and red tones with a nylon stippling sponge. Layering the two helps create the uneven purple tone found in real bruises, pale in some areas and almost green in others. I went back in with a little extra red to create fresh scratches and a little yellow in the center to make it look a bit swollen. I used a basic translucent powder to set it, also from Ben Nye. Brushes won't work here, bruises call for velour powder puffs so you can really press it into the skin. A little stage blood and in our case, a little bit of dirt and ashes, and you are ready to go.

Creating this look is fairly easy, because it's ok if it looks a little haphazard. However if continuity is going to be an issue, plan ahead and practice on your own face a few times. Getting it just right and exactly the same each time takes some practice. I like my cuts and bruises, but there is definitely some room to grow, so it's back to my make-up area until I get it "just-so."

No comments:

Post a Comment